The parasite, known as “Brain-eating Amoeba” said the second young American casualties this month.
Christian Strickland, 9-year-old from Henrico County, Virginia contracted an infection after a visit to a fishing camp in his country. He died of meningitis 5th August.
This week the Ministry of Health officials confirmed that deadly amoeba – officially known as “Naegleria fowler” – to blame.
“Unfortunately we had a Naegleria infection in Virginia this summer,” said Dr. Keri Hall Virginia Department of Health, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “It is important that people be aware … Safe swimming news.”
Earlier this month, Courtney Nash succumbed to brain eating Amoeba after diving from a dock on River St. John’s at her grandmother’s house in Florida.
According to her mother, Patricia Nash, Courtney decided before his death to become an organ donor. “I received my miracle, but She has performed other miracles,” said Patricia local station WESH. “If we can save the lives of others, so do not go through what I went through, it could be a blessing in disguise.”
Usually found in warm, stagnant water in freshwater lakes, ponds and rivers, parasite, “enters the nostrils … and passes into the olfactory nerves, eventually invading the brain,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It almost always causes meningitis. Symptoms include fever, nausea, neck stiffness and headache front.
Incoming Search Terms:
- brain eating amoeba in lakes
- brain eating amoeba 2008