Domestic violence is one of the primary forms of violence that takes place in the US. Even if it isn’t happening near you, by you or to you, it affects every person in some or the other way, because it impacts society. However, it means that we all have the power to put an end to it.
When we stop all forms of domestic violence, we enable women, men, as well as children to participate appropriately in society, while being their best selves. It’s why we need to drive the change in culture that makes domestic violence unacceptable.
Things You Need To Know About Domestic Violence
While there are many legal aspects involved in domestic violence cases, in this blog, we are taking a broader view and getting a better understanding of what domestic violence is and some more facts about it.
- Directly or indirectly, and sometimes even invisibly, domestic violence impacts all of us in some way. It exists everywhere in every country in the world and all communities and classes. It affects women, men, and kids, whether victims, perpetrators, or witnesses.
- Today, one in 15 kids is exposed to some form of domestic violence annually in the US.
- This exposure puts them at risk of various mental issues such as anxiety, depression, and PTSD as well as more violence.
- Domestic violence is prevalent, far more than we know. In the US, there has been a decrease of 64% in domestic violence since the mid-90s. However, at least one in four women will experience some form of domestic violence in their lifetime.
- The unfortunate aspect is that most of these incidents tend to go unreported for various reasons.
- Domestic abuse is not just physical. It could also be sexual, emotional, or verbal. Sometimes it could involve social isolation, financial control as well as various other ways to maintain power.
- In most cases, domestic violence starts as minor issues and moments that slowly but surely escalate over time and transform into intimidation or possessiveness.
- Domestic violence can be deadly, and in the United States, 1 in three female homicides take place by former or current partners, each year.
- In most cases, leaving can be extremely difficult, and when the victim starts to plan on leaving, discusses, or even shows they are considering it, threats, stalking, and even sexual violence or the risk of being murdered can follow.
Contact an Experienced Defense Lawyer
If you or anyone you know is involved in a domestic violence situation and comes under the police scanner, you would need legal help. Whether you are the victim or the accused, you would need a good lawyer in your corner. In many instances, these cases are difficult to prove as it could be one person’s word against the other.
But a seasoned and skilled defense lawyer would be able to conduct the right amount of investigations and check facts before determining what the best plan of action should be. If you are a victim of domestic violence, you mustn’t remain silent and contact a lawyer without delay.
Staying silent only increases the threat for you. These situations can be extremely stressful and challenging for everyone involved. If there are kids in the equation, the situation becomes even riskier. The sooner the issue is addressed, the better it is for everyone.
Even if you are the accused, look for a reputable defense lawyer with experience in handling domestic violence cases. They will discuss the details of your case and tell you what the right approach will be. While these lawyers are assertive, they are also compassionate and provide you the support you need in this difficult time.